Summer is here and in New Zealand that means it’s the entertaining season! Many of us will be hosting BBQs, dinner parties or just relaxing in our outdoor areas at home. Kiwis spend so much time entertaining outdoors, so you want an area you love to spend time in.
Creating an outdoor paradise can be daunting for many homeowners – after all, it takes time and money to make the most of your existing space. But what if you could create a beautiful oasis without breaking the bank? Here at MyFinance, we believe everyone deserves their backyard haven, so we’ve put together our favourite cost-effective outdoor renovation ideas to refresh your backyard and make it a space you’ll love to entertain in!
Here’s some of our favourite cost-effective outdoor renovation ideas.
- Build a deck: After a long day, there's nothing quite like unwinding with family and friends on your own deck. Decking is a great way to expand your outdoor living area and create a beautiful space. If you’re building a deck yourself, put some consideration into what material you’ll use – durable material options include composite decking boards and pressure-treated wood. Consider the amount of maintenance that is required before you decide on which material to go for. This simple yet helpful blog by Mitre10 about building a deck in NZ has some great pointers if you have never done it yourself before. Building a deck can be a big project, and if you are still looking for the funds to build that deck you’ve always dreamed of, MyFinance can help!
- Turn up the heat with a fire pit: Fire pits are becoming more popular these days and rightly so! They’re a great add-on to your outdoor space to entertain guests both in summer and winter. If you’re looking for a cost-effective way to add this to your home, you can purchase ones that sit on top of the ground. Or if you want to go all out, you could add a more permanent fixture made from stone. Fire safety is always important too, so make sure to check out this handy guide to owning a fire pit.
- Relax in a garden getaway: There’s nothing more relaxing than being surrounded by trees and native bush – you can feel like you’re in a jungle far away. If you love greenery, you can completely transform the look and feel of your garden by simply adding a selection of your favourite trees and bushes to your garden. If you want to take it to the next level, why not add a pond, water feature, and outdoor furniture to create the perfect spot for relaxation? This helpful guide from Life & Style by George can help you on your way.
- Outdoor kitchen and dining space: Take your typical kiwi BBQ up a notch and expand into an outdoor kitchen. Whether you want to just do a little and add some outdoor bench space and seating or want to go the whole hog and install a complete outdoor kitchen with a sink and storage, an outdoor kitchen can really add to your home. We love adding stylish outdoor seating too so those who aren't cooking can still enjoy the relaxation and entertainment nearby.
- Increase the fun with outdoor games: Enhance the entertainment factor of your outdoor activities by building games for your family to play. An outdoor cricket set and cornhole are great ideas to start with, are cost-effective and easy to find. If you're feeling adventurous and have young kids, why not try constructing a sandbox or playground? DIY projects for the kids can give the little ones lots of fun and the adults some much-needed relaxation.
- Install a water feature: Another way to bring some style and character into your outdoor space is by installing a water feature. These come in all shapes and sizes ranging from fountains & ponds to statues, but regardless of the particular style you choose, the result is always the same…majestic and calming!
Creating a beautiful outdoor living paradise is a great way to transform your outdoor space. Whether you’re looking for a spot to entertain guests or just a place to relax and unwind, there are many ways to create the perfect outdoor living paradise.
A home improvement loan can be a great way to invest in your home and increase its value. Why stop at the outdoors? We also love to see energy-efficient improvements this year, so read up on installing solar panels in your home.